Primary ContactSandy Vold - County Assessor
20 SE Second St
Ortonville, MN 56278
Phone: (320) 839-6360
Fax: (320) 839-6370
Beginning October 1, 2014, all certificates of real estate value must be submitted using eCRV. County and city offices will no longer accept paper copies of the Certificates of Real Estate Value, except for sales that have occured before October 1, 2014.
Services and Responsibilities
The Assessor’s Office directs, plans and supervises the appraisal and recording of all property assessments in Big Stone County, as prescribed by Minnesota Statutes and the directives of the Commissioners of Revenue, in order to provide an equitable and efficient system of property appraisal for tax purposes.
Specific duties include:
- Locating property within the County and determining which properties are subject to taxation.
- Determining the use of each property and assigning a classification based on that use.
- Determining which properties qualify for homestead exemptions.
- Determining present market value of each property and calculating the tax capacity based on its classification.
- Notifying taxpayers annually of the classification and market value of their property.